Sunday, October 20, 2013

Foods I didn't know exsisted....Until I married a North Dakotan.

It's amazing how little I knew of the cuisine from one state over, until I started dating a North Dakota boy.

Well, it's not all THAT amazing. 

This food is pretty weird. I can't even pronounce most of it.

Let's dive in, shall we?

Fleischkuekle


My definition:
Greasy hamburger with crispy fried coating. Last time I ate it was at Kroll's Diner in Bismarck, and it came with mashed potatoes and gravy. 

Q. Do I like it?
A. Not my favorite. At the same time, not too shabby. Just seems greasy.

Kyle's definition:

 Seasoned hamburger patty, wrapped in fried dough. Usually a supper item, and served with mashed potatoes, french fries, or "just about anything".

Q. Does Kyle like it?
A. Love it! With Ketchup! 

Wikipedia's input:

Fleischkuekle is typically served hot from a deep fryer. Hot oil may pool inside when the breading is incompletely sealed, making it a sensible precaution to poke and drain any excess before eating.
In Mercer County, diners typically provide pickles and ketchup on the side. The dish is served with gravy in Fargo. A slice of cheese on top is an not-uncommon request.


Kroll's Diner in Bismarck, ND.



Knoephla

My definition:
Chicken and dumpling soup. Without the chicken. Creamy, rich, salty, good comfort food.

Q. Do I like it?
A. Yes. I like soup and its good on a cold day. You do feel like you need a nap after you eat a bowl. So clear your schedule.

Kyle's definition:
Cream based soup with dough chunks and little pieces of cut up potato and pure gloriousness. Some do put in carrots and celery and stuff, but that's not advised. By me.

Q. Do you like it?
A. Do I like it? Thats a understatement. I love it.

Wikipedia's input:


The word is related to the modern German dialect word Knöpfle, meaning little knob/button. Traditional knoephla soup is a thick chicken and potato soup, almost to the point of being a stew. It is particularly common in the U.S. states of Minnesota, South Dakota, and North Dakota, where there was significant settlement of German emigrants from the Russian Empire.

Pizza Burgers “Flying Style”

My definition:
A hamburger from a drive through restaurant with marinara sauce on it. Typically ordered with a side of french fries and really really thick gravy. The first time I had this I put up a facebook status that I'd had a "flying pizza burger" almost immediately got b-slapped by facebookers from Bismarck who set me straight about this local favorite's correct name.

Q. Do I like it?
A. It's pretty darn good. They are thin so you tend to eat them pretty quickly (or I do). I like the fries too.

Kyle's definition:

A hamburger patty in between 2 pieces of bread, pressed in a sandwich press with cheese and pizza sauce. Order it with fries, fries with gravy.

Q. Do you like it?
A. Fricken love it.

 Cloverdale Red Franks


My Definition:
Red hot dogs. RED RED hot dogs. Taste the same as normal hot dogs, except that they are almost a neon color of red. Weird.

Q. Do I like them?
A. Yes, they taste like regular hot dogs. I just am super confused by the color.

Kyle's definition:

They're just red hot dogs that taste delicious.

Q. Do you like them?
A. Ouuu yah!

There ya go my friends. A intro to my fairly new knowledge of the state next door's interesting food culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment